Head Chef – Le Blaireau Bar & Bistro
Type – Full time, permanent
Reports to – Le Blaireau Manager
Location – Le Blaireau Bar & Bistro at Careys Manor Hotel. Situated 5 minutes’ walk from Brockenhurst Village and train station with excellent rail links to Bournemouth, Southampton and London.The New Forest is a lovely setting with ponies, deer and other animals roaming throughout the Forest and its villages, and beautiful surroundings.
A Summary Of The Job
Situated in the grounds of Careys Manor Hotel, our French bar and bistro, Le Blaireau, offers guests a relaxed, laid back atmosphere with regional French cooking and an all-French wine list.
We are seeking a Head Chef to head up the brigade in the kitchen of Le Blaireau. This is an exciting opportunity to work with local, free-range and organic produce sourced in line with our ethical food policy. You will also have the chance to fully redevelop the menu and take this exciting French concept to the next level.
Our successful candidate will be an experienced Head Chef with a stable career in restaurants. With classic French training, you will have ideally lived and worked in France serving rustic French food with experience of sauce, pastry etc. and will be a multi-skilled chef who is adaptable to the needs of the business.
It will be your mission to ensure that Le Blaireau is at the forefront of the restaurant scene in the New Forest and Brockenhurst through great service and innovative menus that provide an exceptional guest experience as well as offering value for money. As Head Chef you will work closely with the Blaireau Manager to ensure our diners return time and time again.
- Cook authentic French brasserie style dishes with a good selection of vegetarian dishes represented both in starters and main courses.
- Food should be simplistic and very French
- As a restaurant driven by covers, the food should be balanced and able to be produced quickly and to the highest of standards.
- Produce excellent food to exceed guest expectations
- Develop menus /dishes with GM, Hotel Manager and Le Blaireau Manager
- Adhere to company ethical food policy e.g. organic produce/free range /local /seasonal etc.
- Control staff costs in line with budget
- Food related GPs to be controlled working closely with the team to reduce costs and maximise profit
- Control stock levels and rotate stock to ensure maximum efficiency
- Manage and control budgets and purchasing for kitchen
- Participate in the management team for the hotel, including attending weekly HOD / Management meetings
- Liaise closely with other Heads of Departments and attend daily operations meetings
- Communicate regularly with General Manager informing him of any changes to staffing, menu changes, guest commentary etc
- Develop and maintain strong communications and excellent working relations between Kitchen and Front of House
- Manage and motivate the kitchen brigade
- Train and develop the team to the highest standards
- Ensure Front of House staff understand new menus/dishes
Health & Safety, and Hygiene
- Ensure your entire kitchen brigade are adhering to Health and Safety and Hygiene standards, policy, and procedures including Covid secure standards. We have devised a health & safety program in accordance with HM Government, Public Health England and specialist advice from UK Hospitality – our support partner. Our internal operating practices will be reviewed to reflect ongoing recommendations.
- Develop and maintain processes and procedures to ensure the highest levels of cleanliness in the kitchen
- Liaise with Health & Safety, Food Hygiene consultant
- Actively participate and promote Le Blaireau at community events.
- Liaise with other Head Chefs within the group where appropriate.
- Communicate with the marketing team to ensure that Le Blaireau is known locally as a great place to eat and to build on the great reputation already in place.
- Competitive rates of pay
- Staff accommodation subject to availability
- Leisure membership of our award winning SenSpa facility
- Uniform and workwear provided
- Staff training and development to ensure you reach your potential
- Friends and Family discounts in our Hotels, Spa, and Restaurants across Group
- Employee Assistance Programme through Hospitality Action
- Annual leave. Long serving staff enjoy enhanced holiday entitlement
- Long Service annual celebratory dinner
- Pension; eligible team members benefit from a NEST pension scheme
- Free parking on site