Type – Full time, permanent (flexible shifts on a rota basis to include weekends)
Reports to – Hotel Manager
Location – Careys Manor Hotel. Situated 5 minutes’ walk from Brockenhurst Village and train station with excellent rail links to Bournemouth, Southampton and London. The New Forest is a lovely setting with ponies, deer and other animals roaming throughout the Forest and its villages, and beautiful surroundings.
Careys Manor & SenSpa is located in the beautiful village of Brockenhurst, nestled between the New Forest National Park and the Solent. With 77 plush bedrooms and suites, the award-winning SenSpa and 3 onsite restaurants, we pride ourselves on our friendly staff and attentive service.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a standards-motivated Housekeeper to use their experience and skills, working with a superb and dedicated team, to stamp their mark on the Housekeeping department in what is a key operational and Head of Department role.
A Summary Of The Job
We are seeking a proactive and intuitive leader who has the ability to manage, motivate, and develop the team through effective communication, problem-solving and rapport building. The role would suit someone with a strong Housekeeping background, who has proven leadership skills and a participative approach, delivering exceptional service levels through collaboration and team work.
As Head Housekeeper, you will need to be responsive, able to adjust and adapt to new and changing work processes, requirements and cultures. You will be standards-orientated and genuinely passionate about service delivery, able to understand and respond effectively to customer and business demands. As you would expect, ensuring that our guests receive the highest standard of service is the most important role for the Head Housekeeper, so rooms and public areas must be maintained to an exceptionally high standard.
The successful candidate will be well-presented, have a keen eye for detail and possess first class communication skills. If you are an experienced and ambitious housekeeping manager, with high standards of guest care, then we would love to hear from you.
- Recruitment of staff in conjunction with the Hotel Manager.
- Staffing to appropriate levels within budget and to ensure adequate cover at all times
- Organise the weekly rota in advance and complete end of week timesheets for wages
- Ensure you and your team are aware of 4 star Standards and adhere to them at all times
- Ensure you are up to date with the AA report and you use it within your team as a training tool
- Complete daily room inspections to ensure standards are being achieved and that the deep cleaning schedule of bedrooms, public areas & toilets is being completed.
- Report any Maintenance issues and check they have been resolved
- Complete the ordering of stock
- Balance the invoices to all deliveries and record any discrepancies and report these to the relevant company
- Ensure monthly stock-takes are carried out
- Control the linen stock from the linen company by ensuring we receive the correct amount in the delivery and report any rejects
- Control the mini bar stock and ensure monthly stock takes are carried out, and issue the daily forms to reception for charging
- In room coffee machines, stock levels as per hotel standards.
- Control all public areas and ensure the cleanliness is of the highest standard, complete several daily checks of these areas
- Deal with guest and staff queries and complaints when required and report to the Duty Manager and Hotel Manager.
- Implement new ideas within the department to improve your standards
- Ensure you are aware of the daily VIPs and inform your team
- Attend Head of Dept meetings and update HoDs with information on your department. Also implement and suggest ideas for increase of sales.
- Undertake any reasonable request from the Area General Manager, or any other senior managers.
- Ensure that all staff are fully trained to provide the highest quality of service
- Implement new training techniques
- Maintain all department records to ensure that staff training is up to date
- Regularly revisit staff training to ensure that all staff are aware of new procedures
- Motivate and encourage staff – implementing incentives for the team and look at introducing departmental initiatives
- Conduct appraisals and regular one to ones
- Agreeing and setting objectives and measuring performance against objectives
- Creating development plans
- Dealing with staff poor performance
- Aim to achieve budget on monthly basis, improving the profitability of the departments and the standard of the products.
Health & Safety, COSHH:
- Ensure you are aware of the current Health and Safety regulations and adhere to them at all times
- Ensure the department is complying with Covid 19 secure guidelines
- Work alongside the hotel’s H&S Advisor to ensure that Risk Assessments are carried out
- Work alongside the hotel’s H&S Advisor to ensure that regular training sessions are carried out for the Housekeeping team
- Ensure you are aware of the COSHH regulations and adhere to them at all times
- Ensure the team are aware of the correct cleaning chemicals to use and are aware of the correct products to use
- Work with Ecolab to ensure staff receive regular training where appropriate
- Ensure the department are aware of the fire precautions and evacuation procedures in the event of a fire alarm
- To carry out any reasonable task that may be requested by management
- Carry out at least 2 Duty Manager shifts a week
- Taking guests feedback on board as a tool for creating a culture of continuously bettering our products, standards and training
- The health and safety of our team is of the utmost importance during these times. All staff undergo mandatory health and safety training, including enhanced cleaning protocols and personal hygiene training, ensuring a safe working environment.
- We have devised a health & safety program in accordance with HM Government, Public Health England and specialist advice from UK Hospitality – our support partner. Our internal operating practices will be reviewed to reflect ongoing recommendations.
- Competitive rates of pay
- Staff accommodation subject to availability
- Leisure membership of our award winning SenSpa facility
- Uniform and workwear provided
- Staff training and development to ensure you reach your potential
- Friends and Family discounts in our Hotels, Spa, and Restaurants across Group
- Employee Assistance Programme through Hospitality Action
- Annual leave. Long serving staff enjoy enhanced holiday entitlement
- Long Service annual celebratory dinner
- Pension; eligible team members benefit from a NEST pension scheme
- Free parking on site